February 22, 2012
With Agile testing gaining importance to deliver
These quadrants can help the whole team communicate better and deliver a
Agile Quadrant I consists of test cases that are technology driven and are performed to support the team
This quadrant focuses mainly on internal code quality. The unit testing done in this quadrant acts as an initial safety net for the product and helps
1. Unit Tests including testing a piece of code and ensuring that it fulfills the requirements.
2. Component Tests including testing architect intent and ensuring that components work together.
Agile Quadrant II consists of test cases that are business driven and are performed to support the team
This quadrant focuses on eliciting the requirements. In this quadrant, developers can code as long as the test cases give the expected results. The test cases are business facing and so development is driven keeping the business objectives in mind. The objective of this quadrant is to obtain enough requirements so that coding can commence without any hiccups.
1. Testing of examples of possible scenarios and workflows.
2. Testing of User Experience such as prototypes.
3. Pair testing.
To experience Agile Quadrants in your Testing Cycles
Agile Quadrant III consists of business facing test cases that critique the product
The main focus in this quadrant is to provide feedback to quadrants one and two. This quadrant enables one to learn as
1. Exploratory Testing
2. Usability Testing
3. Pair testing with customers
4. User Acceptance Testing
5. Collaborative Testing
Agile Quadrant IV consists of technology-driven test cases that critique the product
This quadrant focuses on the non-functional requirements such as performance, security, stability
1. Non-functional tests such as stress and performance testing
2. Security testing with respect to hacking and authentication.
3. Infrastructure testing.
4. Data migration testing.
5. Scalability testing
6. Load testing
Depending upon the project requirements, scope, risks and priorities, the quadrants need to be chosen and implemented. Appropriate tools also need to be selected to assist and carry out the testing. Implementing the quadrants help in collaborating the efforts of programmers, testers